Saturday, December 4, 2010

Work At Last

                For the first time all week, Elijah woke up crying this morning at about 2:15. Of course, since I have to be up at 5, I can’t get back to sleep. I guess I’ll tell you about life, instead.
                Our store is finally open. Yay! After more delays than I know I liked, we opened up our doors this past Thursday with our grand opening yesterday. I’ve been working since Tuesday. The first two days were just getting everything for the store and organizing it which involved a lot of driving around and spending copious amounts of my boss’s money. We have almost everything we need and have been cranking out tons of cupcakes. We had a lot more people in the store on Thursday rather than Friday because we were giving away free cupcakes. In retrospect, maybe it would have been better to give away the free cupcakes during the grand opening. That’s something I’ll file away for later use.
                So far, I like the crew. They are a good bunch of women that are very eager to learn. Within a week or so, I think we’ll have everything really down pat. I think it’s funny how many of them have culinary training from prestigious schools. At first it was a little daunting but I’m beginning to realize how pointless that degree can be. These people are thousands of dollars in debt in hopes of having careers in the food industry and here I am with no formal training and right along beside them- except without the debt and the stories of working in other places that were too high stress. I’m sure there are tons of people out there that have landed higher on the ladder than us but I’m not looking to open a fancy five-star restaurant at any point in the future so maybe I’ll just get my business schooling out of the way and call it good. And then I’ll take over the world.
                There is one person that’s grated my nerves this week. I’m not sure exactly why she acts the way she does- maybe nerves, maybe insecurities, or maybe she’s just a damn bitch. Whatever the reason, there have been a few times I would have liked to make some pissy retort to the crap that comes out of her mouth but that wouldn’t get me anywhere. I need to focus on doing my job; not the extreme desire to bitch slap her when she thinks that her shit doesn’t stink (because, oh my god, it does). Oh well. I’m sure not everyone likes me. The best I can do is try to maintain a friendly, professional(ish) work environment and realize that some people like to play nice and others just need to be found face down in a pool of their own bitchiness.
                On the home front, it’s been tough to leave Elijah but I’m thankful for the break and happy to finally be earning money again. He seems to be doing just fine hanging out here with my folks and, luckily, I get home in time for us to have a few hours together before we go to sleep. I’m fairly certain that he doesn’t ever stop talking unless he’s sleeping or eating anymore. We’re getting more words and a lot of babble that follows the flow of our speech patterns if not necessarily the words just yet. And, of course, he’s really into mimicking right now. Whether it’s Mom leaning against the kitchen counter or Dad raising his hands over his head and growling like a monster, Elijah likes to copy us.
                I got the divorce papers yesterday and I can’t tell if they’ve been tampered with or it’s a typo but the box that says we don’t have kids was checked so I have certified copies coming straight from the county clerk’s office to straighten all of this out. Dad’s fairly certain that if the certified copies show the same mistake, we should be able to fix it fairly quickly. I knew there was a reason I should have gone to the court hearing. It’s a shame it was 3000 miles away.

No comments:

Post a Comment